Something big will be happening on Banff’s roads this Saturday – it’s the 35th annual Melissa’s Road Race. The race – which begins at the Banff Recreation Grounds – has a 10km course and a 21km course. It’s already sold out with 4,500 participants taking part, but volunteers on still needed. Read on to learn how the event will affect traffic and parking in the area and how you can get involved.
Banff Lake Louise Tourism emailed a special events bulletin with the following road closure and parking information to be aware of.
- Cave Ave. will be closed from 10:30 am to 12:30 pm, exceptions for local traffic only.
- The Bow River Bridge will be closed from 10:29 am for 14 mins. (Traffic will then be manually directed to move any backlog as quickly as possible.)
- Otter St. from Wolf St. to Tunnel Mountain Drive, going up the hill will be closed from 10:32 to 10:50 am.
- Tunnel Mountain Drive, between Buffalo Mountain Lodge and The Banff Centre, will be closed from 8 am to 12 noon.
- Buffalo St. from The Banff Centre to Muskrat St. will be one lane traffic only, allowing vehicles to travel from The Banff Centre into downtown. There will be no up-hill traffic allowed from 10:35 am to 12 noon.
- Bow Ave. will only be open to local traffic travelling north in one lane.
- Parking will be allowed on Bow Avenue.
- Wolf St. and Caribou St. between Lynx St. and Bow Ave. will be open for local traffic only.
- The Bow Falls Road will have limited access from 10:35 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
- The road to the Banff Spring Hotel golf clubhouse will be closed to one lane of traffic only. A security vehicle will lead cars to and from the clubhouse and Bow Falls in 15 minute intervals.
- There will be no parking available at the Banff Recreation Grounds on Saturday September 27.
- The Town of Banff has launched a mobile website to help visitors find parking in town. Visit banffparking.ca to view the available parking spots, directions and time frames.
If you’d like to help with the race, you can volunteer for a variety of positions, including First Aid, water stations, t-shirt distribution, food and beverage, bag check, finish line and course marshalls. Each year over 300 volunteers band together to make the race a success.
All volunteers receive an original art work T-shirt, and 50% off coupon for Melissa’s: Banff’s Original Steak House and Family Restaurant. There is a Volunteer Party on Sunday Sept 28 in Melissa’s Bar, starting at 7 pm, with lots of great food and beverage and many prizes.
To volunteer for Saturday’s event, please contact a Manager at Melissa’s Restaurant, 403-762-5511.